He who guards his mouth guards his soul. One who opens wide his lips comes to ruin.
Alternate Versions of Proverbs 13-3
- A Conservative Version: Proverbs 13:3
- He who guards his mouth keeps his life. He who opens wide his lips shall have destruction.
- American Standard Version: Proverbs 13:3
- He that guardeth his mouth keepeth his life; `But' he that openeth wide his lips shall have destruction.
- Bible in Basic English: Proverbs 13:3
- He who keeps a watch on his mouth keeps his life; but he whose lips are open wide will have destruction.
- Darby English Bible: Proverbs 13:3
- He that guardeth his mouth keepeth his soul; destruction shall be to him that openeth wide his lips.
- King James Version: Proverbs 13:3
- He that keepeth his mouth keepeth his life: but he that openeth wide his lips shall have destruction.
- King James Version (UK): Proverbs 13:3
- He that keeps his mouth keeps his life but he that opens wide his lips shall have destruction.
- Youngs Literal Translation: Proverbs 13:3
- Whoso is keeping his mouth, is keeping his soul, Whoso is opening wide his lips -- ruin to him!
Verses Related to Proverbs 13-3
- Psalms 39:1
- > I said, "I will watch my ways, so that I don't sin with my tongue. I will keep my mouth with a bridle while the wicked is before me."
- Psalms 141:3
- Set a watch, Yahweh, before my mouth. Keep the door of my lips.
- Proverbs 10:19
- In the multitude of words there is no lack of disobedience, But he who restrains his lips does wisely.
- Proverbs 12:13
- An evil man is trapped by sinfulness of lips, But the righteous shall come out of trouble.
- Proverbs 18:7
- A fool's mouth is his destruction, And his lips are a snare to his soul.
- Proverbs 21:23
- Whoever guards his mouth and his tongue Keeps his soul from troubles.
- Matthew 12:36
- I tell you that every idle word that men speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment.
- James 1:26
- If anyone among you thinks himself to be religious while he doesn't bridle his tongue, but deceives his heart, this man's religion is worthless.
- James 3:9
- With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who are made in the image of God.