In today’s society, it is sometimes difficult to remember that I am a Christian and that I need to act as a Christian. I am faced with situations every day that test my patience or make me angry. It would be easy to give in and act like the rest of the world in my anger, but I am not like the rest of the world. I am a Christian and I need to act or react in a manner that will glorify God. Below, I have listed the top Bible verses I go to when I need a reminder on how God expects us to act:
- Galatians 5:22-23 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
- Romans 12:9-21 9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality. 14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position.[a] Do not be conceited.17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,”[b] says the Lord. 20 On the contrary:
“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”[c]
21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
- Romans 12:2 2 Do not be conformed to this world,[a] but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
- Acts 20:35 35 In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’”
- Proverbs 28:6 6 Better is a poor man who walks in his integrity
than a rich man who is crooked in his ways.
God never promised that being a Christian would be easy. Being a Christian does not mean that there won’t be trials in life or people that cause us to want to pull our hair out. We live in a world of chaos. Fortunately, God has given us a handbook to tell us how to act in any given situation. We never have to wonder what God expects of us. Read his word and find out what he expects of you when you are faced with a tough situation.