A man of many companions may be ruined, But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
Alternate Versions of Proverbs 18-24
- A Conservative Version: Proverbs 18:24
- He who makes many friends does it to his own destruction, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
- American Standard Version: Proverbs 18:24
- He that maketh many friends `doeth it' to his own destruction; But there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.
- Bible in Basic English: Proverbs 18:24
- There are friends who may be a man's destruction, but there is a lover who keeps nearer than a brother.
- Darby English Bible: Proverbs 18:24
- A man of [many] friends will come to ruin but there is a friend [that] sticketh closer than a brother.
- King James Version: Proverbs 18:24
- A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.
- King James Version (UK): Proverbs 18:24
- A man that has friends must show himself friendly and there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother.
- Youngs Literal Translation: Proverbs 18:24
- A man with friends `is' to show himself friendly, And there is a lover adhering more than a brother!
Verses Related to Proverbs 18-24
- 1 Samuel 19:2
- Jonathan told David, saying, Saul my father seeks to kill you: now therefore, please take care of yourself in the morning, and live in a secret place, and hide yourself:
- 1 Samuel 19:4
- Jonathan spoke good of David to Saul his father, and said to him, Don't let the king sin against his servant, against David; because he has not sinned against you, and because his works have been very good toward you:
- 2 Samuel 1:26
- I am distressed for you, my brother Jonathan: Very pleasant have you been to me: Your love to me was wonderful, Passing the love of women.
- 2 Samuel 9:1
- David said, Is there yet any who is left of the house of Saul, that I may show him kindness for Jonathan's sake?
- 2 Samuel 15:31
- One told David, saying, Ahithophel is among the conspirators with Absalom. David said, Yahweh, please turn the counsel of Ahithophel into foolishness.
- 2 Samuel 16:17
- Absalom said to Hushai, Is this your kindness to your friend? Why didn't you go with your friend?
- 2 Samuel 21:7
- But the king spared Mephibosheth, the son of Jonathan the son of Saul, because of Yahweh's oath that was between them, between David and Jonathan the son of Saul.