"'If your brother has grown poor among you, and sells himself to you; you shall not make him to serve as a slave.
Alternate Versions of Leviticus 25-39
- A Conservative Version: Leviticus 25:39
- And if thy brother becomes poor with thee, and sells himself to thee, thou shall not impose upon him servile labor.
- American Standard Version: Leviticus 25:39
- And if thy brother be waxed poor with thee, and sell himself unto thee; thou shalt not make him to serve as a bond-servant.
- Bible in Basic English: Leviticus 25:39
- And if your brother becomes poor and gives himself to you for money, do not make use of him like a servant who is your property;
- Darby English Bible: Leviticus 25:39
- And if thy brother grow poor beside thee, and be sold unto thee, thou shalt not compel him to serve as a bondservant:
- King James Version: Leviticus 25:39
- And if thy brother that dwelleth by thee be waxen poor, and be sold unto thee; thou shalt not compel him to serve as a bondservant:
- King James Version (UK): Leviticus 25:39
- And if your brother that dwells by you be becoming poor, and be sold unto you; you shall not compel him to serve as a bondservant:
- Webster's: Leviticus 25:39
- And if thy brother that dwelleth by thee shall have become poor, and be sold to thee; thou shalt not compel him to serve as a bond servant:
- Youngs Literal Translation: Leviticus 25:39
- `And when thy brother becometh poor with thee, and he hath been sold to thee, thou dost not lay on him servile service;
Verses Related to Leviticus 25-39
- Exodus 1:14
- and they made their lives bitter with hard service, in mortar and in brick, and in all manner of service in the field, all their service, in which they ruthlessly made them serve.
- Exodus 21:2
- If you buy a Hebrew servant, he shall serve six years and in the seventh he shall go out free without paying anything.
- Exodus 22:3
- If the sun has risen on him, there shall be guilt of bloodshed for him; he shall make restitution. If he has nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft.
- Leviticus 25:46
- You may make them an inheritance for your children after you, to hold for a possession; of them may you take your slaves forever: but over your brothers the children of Israel you shall not rule, one over another, with harshness.
- Deuteronomy 15:12
- If your brother, a Hebrew man, or a Hebrew woman, be sold to you, and serve you six years; then in the seventh year you shall let him go free from you.
- 1 Kings 9:22
- But of the children of Israel did Solomon make no bondservants; but they were the men of war, and his servants, and his princes, and his captains, and rulers of his chariots and of his horsemen.
- 2 Kings 4:1
- Now there cried a certain woman of the wives of the sons of the prophets to Elisha, saying, Your servant my husband is dead; and you know that your servant did fear Yahweh: and the creditor is come to take to him my two children to be bondservants.
- Nehemiah 5:5
- Yet now our flesh is as the flesh of our brothers, our children as their children: and, behold, we bring into bondage our sons and our daughters to be servants, and some of our daughters are brought into bondage [already]: neither is it in our power to help it; for other men have our fields and our vineyards.
- Jeremiah 25:14
- For many nations and great kings shall make bondservants of them, even of them; and I will recompense them according to their deeds, and according to the work of their hands.
- Jeremiah 27:7
- All the nations shall serve him, and his son, and his son's son, until the time of his own land come: and then many nations and great kings shall make him their bondservant.