But flesh with the life of it, the blood of it, you shall not eat.
Alternate Versions of Genesis 9-4
- A Conservative Version: Genesis 9:4
- But flesh with the life of it, which is the blood of it, ye shall not eat.
- American Standard Version: Genesis 9:4
- But flesh with the life thereof, `which is' the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.
- Bible in Basic English: Genesis 9:4
- But flesh with the life-blood in it you may not take for food.
- Darby English Bible: Genesis 9:4
- Only, the flesh with its life, its blood, ye shall not eat.
- King James Version: Genesis 9:4
- But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.
- King James Version (UK): Genesis 9:4
- But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall all of you not eat.
- Webster's: Genesis 9:4
- But flesh with the life of it, which is its blood, shall ye not eat.
- Youngs Literal Translation: Genesis 9:4
- only flesh in its life -- its blood -- ye do not eat.
Verses Related to Genesis 9-4
- Genesis 1:30
- To every animal of the earth, and to every bird of the sky, and to everything that creeps on the earth, in which there is life, I have given every green herb for food." And it was so.
- Leviticus 3:17
- "'It shall be a perpetual statute throughout your generations in all your dwellings, that you shall eat neither fat nor blood.'"
- Leviticus 7:26
- You shall not eat any blood, whether it is of bird or of animal, in any of your dwellings.
- Leviticus 17:10
- "'Any man of the house of Israel, or of the strangers who live as foreigners among them, who eats any kind of blood, I will set my face against that soul who eats blood, and will cut him off from among his people.
- Leviticus 17:11
- For the life of the flesh is in the blood; and I have given it to you on the altar to make atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that makes atonement by reason of the life.
- Leviticus 17:13
- "'Whatever man there is of the children of Israel, or of the strangers who live as foreigners among them, who takes in hunting any animal or bird that may be eaten; he shall pour out its blood, and cover it with dust.
- Leviticus 17:14
- For as to the life of all flesh, its blood is with its life: therefore I said to the children of Israel, "You shall not eat the blood of any kind of flesh; for the life of all flesh is its blood. Whoever eats it shall be cut off."
- Leviticus 19:26
- "'You shall not eat any meat with the blood still in it; neither shall you use enchantments, nor practice sorcery.
- Deuteronomy 12:16
- Only you shall not eat the blood; you shall pour it out on the earth as water.
- Deuteronomy 12:23
- Only be sure that you don't eat the blood: for the blood is the life; and you shall not eat the life with the flesh.