If you do well, will it not be lifted up? If you don't do well, sin crouches at the door. Its desire is for you, but you are to rule over it."
Alternate Versions of Genesis 4-7
- A Conservative Version: Genesis 4:7
- If thou do well, shall thou not be accepted? And if thou do not well, sin crouches at the door. Its desire shall be for thee, and thou shall rule over it.
- American Standard Version: Genesis 4:7
- If thou doest well, shall it not be lifted up? and if thou doest not well, sin coucheth at the door: and unto thee shall be its desire, but do thou rule over it.
- Bible in Basic English: Genesis 4:7
- If you do well, will you not have honour? and if you do wrong, sin is waiting at the door, desiring to have you, but do not let it be your master.
- Darby English Bible: Genesis 4:7
- If thou doest well, will not [thy countenance] look up [with confidence]? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door; and unto thee [shall be] his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.
- King James Version: Genesis 4:7
- If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.
- King James Version (UK): Genesis 4:7
- If you do well, shall you not be accepted? and if you do not well, sin lies at the door. And unto you shall be his desire, and you shall rule over him.
- Webster's: Genesis 4:7
- If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And to thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.
- Youngs Literal Translation: Genesis 4:7
- Is there not, if thou dost well, acceptance? and if thou dost not well, at the opening a sin-offering is crouching, and unto thee its desire, and thou rulest over it.'
Verses Related to Genesis 4-7
- Genesis 3:16
- To the woman he said, "I will greatly multiply your pain in childbirth. In pain you will bring forth children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you."
- Genesis 19:21
- He said to him, "Behold, I have granted your request concerning this thing also, that I will not overthrow the city of which you have spoken.
- 2 Samuel 24:23
- all this, king, does Araunah give to the king. Araunah said to the king, Yahweh your God accept you.
- 2 Kings 8:28
- He went with Joram the son of Ahab to war against Hazael king of Syria at Ramoth-gilead: and the Syrians wounded Joram.
- Job 29:4
- As I was in the ripeness of my days, When the friendship of God was in my tent;
- Job 42:8
- Now therefore, take to yourselves seven bulls and seven rams, and go to my servant Job, and offer up for yourselves a burnt offering; and my servant Job shall pray for you, for I will accept him, that I not deal with you according to your folly. For you have not spoken of me the thing that is right, as my servant Job has."
- Proverbs 11:6
- The righteousness of the upright shall deliver them, But the unfaithful will be trapped by evil desires.
- Proverbs 18:5
- To be partial to the faces of the wicked is not good, Nor to deprive the innocent of justice.
- Proverbs 21:27
- The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination: How much more, when he brings it with a wicked mind!