"You shall not oppress an alien, for you know the heart of an alien, seeing you were aliens in the land of Egypt.
Alternate Versions of Exodus 23-9
- A Conservative Version: Exodus 23:9
- And thou shall not oppress a sojourner, for ye know the heart of a sojourner, since ye were sojourners in the land of Egypt.
- American Standard Version: Exodus 23:9
- And a sojourner shalt thou not oppress: for ye know the heart of a sojourner, seeing ye were sojourners in the land of Egypt.
- Bible in Basic English: Exodus 23:9
- Do not be hard on the man from a strange country who is living among you; for you have had experience of the feelings of one who is far from the land of his birth, because you yourselves were living in Egypt, in a strange land.
- Darby English Bible: Exodus 23:9
- And the stranger thou shalt not oppress; for ye know the spirit of the stranger, for ye have been strangers in the land of Egypt.
- King James Version: Exodus 23:9
- Also thou shalt not oppress a stranger: for ye know the heart of a stranger, seeing ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.
- King James Version (UK): Exodus 23:9
- Also you shall not oppress a stranger for all of you know the heart of a stranger, seeing all of you were strangers in the land of Egypt.
- Webster's: Exodus 23:9
- Also thou shalt not oppress a stranger; for ye know the heart of a stranger, seeing ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.
- Youngs Literal Translation: Exodus 23:9
- `And a sojourner thou dost not oppress, and ye -- ye have known the soul of the sojourner, for sojourners ye have been in the land of Egypt.
Verses Related to Exodus 23-9
- Exodus 21:21
- Notwithstanding, if he gets up after a day or two, he shall not be punished, for he is his property.
- Leviticus 19:34
- The stranger who lives as a foreigner with you shall be to you as the native-born among you, and you shall love him as yourself; for you lived as foreigners in the land of Egypt. I am Yahweh your God.
- Deuteronomy 10:19
- Therefore love the foreigner; for you were foreigners in the land of Egypt.
- Deuteronomy 27:19
- Cursed be he who wrests the justice [due] to the foreigner, fatherless, and widow. All the people shall say, Amen.
- Psalms 94:6
- They kill the widow and the alien, And murder the fatherless.
- Ezekiel 22:7
- In you have they set light by father and mother; in the midst of you have they dealt by oppression with the foreigner; in you have they wronged the fatherless and the widow.
- Matthew 18:33
- Shouldn't you also have had mercy on your fellow servant, even as I had mercy on you?'