10 Scriptures to Model for Your Children
Children are precious in the sight of the Lord. We are given children as a gift, and we are commanded to instruct them in the teachings of the Bible. Proverbs 22:6 teaches us:
Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.
The most important thing we can do to train our children is to model the behaviors we want them to exhibit. So let’s spend a little time meditating on ten scriptures that will help us to be the best we can be when guiding our children in life matters.
- Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a right spirit within me. Ps. 51:10
- For the Son of Man also came not to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many. Mark 10:45
- Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Eph. 4:2
- I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. Phil. 4:11
- Remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive. Acts 20:35
- I have set the LORD continually before me; Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Ps. 16:8
- I have told you these things, that in me you may have peace. In the world you have oppression; but cheer up! I have overcome the world. John 16:33
- For God didn’t give us a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and self-control. 2 Tim. 1:7
- Pray without ceasing. 1 Thess. 5:17
- Always be ready to give an answer to everyone who asks you a reason concerning the hope that is in you, with humility and fear. 1 Peter 3:15
These are just a few of the ways we can model our Christian faith to our children. Perhaps you already know some other verses you would add to the list. Each parent will have to consider their child’s age, personality, and learning style when teaching them God’s written word. But you can teach your child the commands of our Lord starting at birth simply by your actions.
Blessings to you and yours,